The Castle of Sully-sur-Loire is located in the commune of Sully-sur-Loire in the Loiret department in north-central France. While the first stone was laid in 1102, its main parts were built in two phases of construction. That bailey yard, enclosed within its walls and corner towers, was built along with the Philippe Auguste tower and the village church around 1218. The keep, however, was constructed around 1395. Until the Castle of Sully-sur-Loire looked as it does today, many additional changes followed. The artillery tower was added and the church was moved from the bailey yard to the centre of the town. A fire in 1918 and WWII caused considerable damages to the castle, which led to extensive reconstructions and therefore additional changes. Today the Castle of Sully-sur-Loire belongs to the Loiret local Council and is open to the public.